Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky. Bak Kwa (肉干) is a Chinese sweet and salty meat jerky. The meat used for producing Bak Kwa is usually pork but contemporary versions include chicken, beef and even vegetarian Bak Kwa 素肉干. 'Bak kwa' is the Chinese version of meat jerky with a combination of flavours from the five spice powder, soy sauce, oyster sauce and fermented tofu. Chinese BBQ Meat Jerky, 肉干, Bak Kua, Long Yoke Korn.
Since it becomes really hot now so I am trying to stay away from my wok and move little by little to the lovely oven. I remember trying to bring this bak kwa from Singapore to Minneapolis when I first moved here and. Bak kwa 肉干 is the Chinese version of pork jerky, made by thinly sliced or minced pork, seasoned with soy sauce and sugar, and grilled over The most popular meat for bak kwa is pork.
Hey everyone, it is Drew, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a special dish, bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Bak Kwa (肉干) is a Chinese sweet and salty meat jerky. The meat used for producing Bak Kwa is usually pork but contemporary versions include chicken, beef and even vegetarian Bak Kwa 素肉干. 'Bak kwa' is the Chinese version of meat jerky with a combination of flavours from the five spice powder, soy sauce, oyster sauce and fermented tofu. Chinese BBQ Meat Jerky, 肉干, Bak Kua, Long Yoke Korn.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can have bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- Make ready 500 g of Chicken Thigh Skinless Boneless,.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of Fish Sauce,.
- Make ready 1/2 TBSP of Dark Soy Sauce,.
- Get 1/2 TBSP of Light Soy Sauce,.
- Get 1 TBSP of Rose Wine,.
- Make ready of Chinese 5 Spice Powder, 1/2 TSP.
- Take 50 g of Demerara Sugar,.
- Make ready 50 g of Japanese Red Sugar / Dark Muscovado Sugar,.
- Take of Maltose Syrup / Pure Honey / Maple Syrup, 1 TBSP + More For Brushing.
- Take 1/4 TSP of Cinnamon Powder,.
- Make ready 1/4 TSP of Coriander Powder,.
- Make ready 1/4 TSP of White Pepper,.
- Get 1 TBSP of Sesame Oil,.
- Take Pinch of Smoked Sea Salt,.
- Take Pinch of Sriracha Powder / Smoked Paprika,.
- Take 1 TSP of Liquid Smoke,.
- Prepare of Hickory Smoking Chips (Optional).
You can substitute it with chicken meat for a pork-free version. In this case, chicken thigh meat is better than. Wafer thin Bak Kwa (Chinese Pork Jerky) is a must-have for the Chinese New Year. Make your own using just a few simple ingredients and at a fraction of the cost.
Instructions to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- You can check out my previous recipe for the homemade Chinese 5 spice..
- If you have a meat grinder, that's great. Grind the chicken thigh with your meat grinder. If not, you can use a blender or a food processor. Cut half of the chicken thigh into small pieces. Blend or process them up in batches. *Do not over blend or process them. Stop once the meat is ground up.*.
- Transfer the ground chicken into a large mixing bowl. As for the remaining half of the chicken thigh, use a cleaver, chop into fine pieces. Chop as finely as humanly can. Transfer the chopped chicken into the same bowl as the ground chicken..
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the liquid smoke. Mix to combine well. Mix, mix, mix. *A quick tip. Maltose syrup is difficult to work with at room temperature. After measuring out, transfer to a heatproof bowl and let steam for about 5 mins or until the maltose is liquified.* Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge overnight..
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius or 360 fahrenheit. Transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a square as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick. Remove the top parchment paper..
- Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch.* Transfer the chicken with the bottom parchment paper onto your baking tray. Wack into the oven and bake for 10 mins. *(Optional) For some extra smoked flavors, you can add some smoking chips into a large bowl covered with aluminum foil. Set it on a light fire and place it at the bottom of your oven while baking the chicken.*.
- Mix 2 heaped TBSP of maltose and liquid smoke until well combined. *Keep it warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step.* Remove from the oven. Brush the chicken with the maltose mixture..
- Wack into the oven and bake for another 10 mins. Remove from the oven. Set oven to roast. Brush the chicken with more maltose mixture..
- Wack into oven and roast for 5 mins. Remove from oven, flip and brush the chicken with maltose mixture. Wack into oven and bake for a final 5 mins or until the edge are lightly charred. Remove from oven, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. Repeat the process for the remaining chicken..
- Smoked version: I also included a smoked version with the help of my NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker. It is optional. But I would recommend smoking these Bak Kwa. Yes, it does lack texture but sure makes up for flavors. And I mean, complex layers of flavors..
- For the smoking method. *If you are using this smoked method, replace smoked salt with sea salt.* If you have a smoker, I would highly recommend smoking the chicken jerky. Although it lacks texture, it makes up for flavors. I am using NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker..
- Follow the procedures as per instructed manual. After the chicken had been marinated, transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a circle (smaller than the kettle smoker), as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick..
- Remove the top parchment paper. *Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch.* *Keep maltose warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step.* Smoke for 15 mins, remove the cover, brush with the maltose..
- Cover and smoke for another 15 mins. Remove cover, flip and brush with the maltose. Cover and smoke for a final 10 or 15 mins or until the edges are lightly charred. *I would suggest, taking the temperature higher than stated in the instruction manual, cos we want those charred edges.* Remove from smoker, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. Repeat the process for the remaining chicken..
- You can check out the detailed recipe video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CK38AJ6lgxv/.
Bak Kwa is the Chinese version of meat jerky with the combination flavor of soy sauce, oyster sauce, five spice powder, sugar, pepper, shaoxing wine and salt. It is usually grilled by using a charcoal fire. But today we are going to show you the way grilled the pork jerky by using the oven! It was my first taste of Bak Kwa 肉干, but with that piece, I became an instant convert, joining the millions of Chinese in With the sweet and citrusy elements in our Penang Chinese Five Spice blend, it will give homemade Bak Kwa an absolutely enticing aroma and flavor that will remind many of you. Peng Guan Traditional BBQ Pork Jerky.
So that is going to wrap it up with this special food bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am confident you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!