Chicken and Okra stew. This hearty Chicken and Okra Stew is something like Brunswick stew, that old-fashioned Southern favorite-only the Haitian version is certainly fierier, thanks to the habanero. If you don't like it quite so spicy, use a seeded, minced jalapeño, which is somewhat fruitier and not as powerful. Stir the sliced chicken back into the pot with the okra as it cooks.
Serve stew over cooked quinoa or brown rice. Drain and rinse thoroughly, set aside. Remove chicken from pan, set aside.
Hello everybody, it is me, Dave, welcome to my recipe site. Today, we’re going to make a special dish, chicken and okra stew. It is one of my favorites. This time, I will make it a bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Chicken and Okra stew is one of the most favored of current trending foods in the world. It is easy, it is fast, it tastes delicious. It is appreciated by millions every day. They’re fine and they look wonderful. Chicken and Okra stew is something which I’ve loved my entire life.
This hearty Chicken and Okra Stew is something like Brunswick stew, that old-fashioned Southern favorite-only the Haitian version is certainly fierier, thanks to the habanero. If you don't like it quite so spicy, use a seeded, minced jalapeño, which is somewhat fruitier and not as powerful. Stir the sliced chicken back into the pot with the okra as it cooks.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must prepare a few ingredients. You can have chicken and okra stew using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Chicken and Okra stew:
- Take of The Stew.
- Get 2 of chicken thighs.
- Take 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt (optional).
- Make ready 2 tsp of cajun/creole seasoning (Like Tony Cachere's).
- Take 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Get 1 of onion, chopped.
- Make ready 3 of carrots, sliced at an angle.
- Take 5 cloves of garlic, minced or grated.
- Make ready 1 tsp of cumin.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sage.
- Prepare 2 tsp of paprika.
- Make ready 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- Get 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Make ready 1 tsp of salt.
- Get 3 cups of chicken broth, bone broth, etc. Your choice.
- Prepare 4 of roma tomatoes, blended.
- Make ready 1 of small can diced tomatoes.
- Get of About 25-30 whole okra.
- Take of Some chopped La Costena canned chilies, or chili powder (spicy!).
- Take of The Rice (Shaami Style).
- Get 2 cups of basmati white rice (or long grain white).
- Make ready 1/2 cup of broken vermicelli noodles.
- Get 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
Place the okra in a baking pan and add the sauce from the pan. Mix to completely coat the okra in the sauce. Cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil. Serve with olive oil, oregano and thyme.
Steps to make Chicken and Okra stew:
- Before cooking, marinate chicken thighs in the cajun seasoning and yogurt. (Yogurt has enzymes that help it become very tender, but it could be subbed for oil or even pineapple juice.) Leave in fridge for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight..
- Once marinated, get a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Brown chicken thighs each side for 3 minutes (they do not need to be completely cooked)..
- Remove chicken, and save the juices. Saute the onion in the remaining juices for 3 minutes, then add carrots, and cook for 2 additional minutes. Then, add garlic and ALL spices and cook for 1.5 minutes..
- In a large pot, add the sauteed veggies, broth, blended tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and optional chilies..
- Cover mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes..
- While stew is simmering, shred chicken and rinse okra..
- For the rice: rinse rice until the water runs clear. I like to put it in a bowl and get in there with my hands. Let the rice soak in water for 10 minutes, or until you can break a grain between your thumbnail and finger. Brown the broken vermicelli on medium heat, about 3-4 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn! Drain the rice, add it to the same pot as the pasta. Add 3.5 cups of water, bring it to a boil, cover, and turn back down to low for 15 min. Fluff it.
- Add the shredded chicken and okra into the stew, and simmer it for 8 minutes. Remove from heat..
- Serve the stew on top of the rice. Feel free to be creative with the recipe and sub as needed! Enjoy..
Chicken and Okra Stew is a simple dish of chicken and okra prepared and cooked with chopped tomatoes, garlic and onions. Put the okra in a bowl and sprinkle with the vinegar and salt. Increase heat to medium, add okra, corn, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Mix water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and stir into the sauce rapidly until. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil.
So that’s going to wrap it up with this special food chicken and okra stew recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I am confident you can make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!