Split Pea Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.
It is most often greyish-green or yellow in color depending on the regional variety of peas used; all are cultivars of Pisum sativum. Homemade Split Pea Soup, just like mom made growing up! This hearty, protein packed, comforting soup is made with tender split peas, flavorful ham and fresh vegetables.
Hello everybody, I hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a distinctive dish, split pea soup. It is one of my favorites food recipes. This time, I am going to make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Split Pea Soup is one of the most popular of current trending foods on earth. It’s simple, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. It’s appreciated by millions daily. They are nice and they look fantastic. Split Pea Soup is something which I have loved my whole life.
This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few ingredients. You can have split pea soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Split Pea Soup:
- Make ready 1 lb of dried split peas.
- Take 1 of meaty ham hock with bone.
- Take 2-4 strips of Bacon and bacon grease.
- Get 1 TBS of Chicken drippings or chicken bouillon.
- Make ready 1 cup of sliced carrots.
- Get 3 stalks of chopped celery.
- Prepare 1 of medium sweet onion chopped.
- Make ready 1/2 cup of cream.
- Get 2 TBS of butter.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
- Make ready 8 cups of water.
Dried split peas are cooked with ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks. This filling, hearty soup is perfect for cold winter days. Split pea soup is pure comfort food for many and it's surprisingly easy to make at home. Yellow peas are traditional for French Canadian pea soup, but feel free to use green if that's what you have.
Steps to make Split Pea Soup:
- Sort through peas, clean them of any debris..
- Put peas and ham in large pan cover with 8 cups of water..
- Add onion.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Simmering for about 1 1/2 hours. Stirring frequently..
- Remove ham bone cut ham from bone and dice putting both both and meat back into the pot..
- Fry bacon, add grease to pot put bacon aside to crumble into soup later..
- Add carrot and celery. Simmer another 30 minutes..
- Add butter, cream and bacon crumbles. Stirring well add salt and pepper to taste. About 1 to 1 1/2 tsp each. I use less salt and let it be salted to taste by each person. Simmer another half hour stirring frequently and serve..
It's soup weather, and split pea soup is one of my personal favorites! It's so easy to whip up, you'll never eat it from a can again. This one is flavored with thyme and a smoked ham hock. Vegan Split Pea Soup is a hearty mix of green split peas, carrots, celery, onion and green cabbage simmered with flavorful herbs – it's my all-time favorite split pea soup recipe! Split Pea Soup like mom used to make with tender split peas, smoked ham bone and vegetables.
So that is going to wrap it up with this special food split pea soup recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I am confident you can make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!