Split Pea and Ham Soup. I did a few things my old way such as simmered my ham. Many split pea soups call for puréeing, but not this one. Here, the split peas mostly dissolve forming a coarse foundation with specks of carrots and ham bobbing throughout.
A no-fuss, no-frills version of the classic, made with green split peas, broth, and ham. Remove ham hock, pick meat, and return to soup (if using). Roughly purée soup using a hand blender, or purée in.
Hey everyone, hope you are having an incredible day today. Today, we’re going to make a special dish, split pea and ham soup. One of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I will make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
I did a few things my old way such as simmered my ham. Many split pea soups call for puréeing, but not this one. Here, the split peas mostly dissolve forming a coarse foundation with specks of carrots and ham bobbing throughout.
Split Pea and Ham Soup is one of the most favored of current trending meals on earth. It’s appreciated by millions every day. It’s simple, it is fast, it tastes delicious. They’re fine and they look fantastic. Split Pea and Ham Soup is something which I have loved my entire life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can have split pea and ham soup using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Split Pea and Ham Soup:
- Make ready 1 1/2 lb of dried split peas divided.
- Prepare 10 1/2 cup of water divided.
- Take 3 of chicken bouillon cubes for 6 cups of water.
- Get 2 lb of ham on bone.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- Make ready 2 of carrots, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks including leaves, sliced.
- Get 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- Get 3 of red potatoes, cubed.
- Take 1 of Bay leaf.
- Take 2 pinch of white pepper.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Cheyenne pepper.
- Take of fresh ground black pepper.
- Get of chopped cooked bacon *optional.
Pea soup or split pea soup is soup made typically from dried peas, such as the split pea. It is, with variations, a part of the cuisine of many cultures. It is most often greyish-green or yellow in color depending on the regional variety of peas used; all are cultivars of Pisum sativum. When I want split pea soup in a hurry, my pressure cooker is my best friend!
Steps to make Split Pea and Ham Soup:
- Sort then rinse peas. In a large pot, combine 1lb peas, 8 cups of hot water, chicken bouillon and ham, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 min stirring occasionally..
- While that's cooking chop all vegetables. After first half hour add the vegetables and seasonings for 30 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. In second pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 lb of peas on medium heat for 30 min..
- Once desired tenderness is reached remove the ham and trim the meat off the bone and discard along with excess fat. Chop meat and add back to soup along with extra peas and water. Mix well and serve..
Here I chopped up some of my leftover ham and sauteed it as my garnish. This bone was leftover from mt Apricot-Rum Glazed Ham recipe. When making soups and stews in the pressure cooker, very little liquid evaporates. This split pea soup recipe is adapted from one written by Julia Child years ago for a Parade Magazine article. Split pea soup is pure comfort food for many and it's surprisingly easy to make at home.
So that’s going to wrap this up for this special food split pea and ham soup recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m confident you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!